Music: Nine Questions - Samantha

What was the first concert you ever saw?



December 5, 1976 (my tenth birthday). Kiss, Destroyer tour, Dorton Arena in Raleigh, NC. My Mom and Dad were 29 and 32, respectively, and decided I was "big" enough to go to a real rock concert, and I loved Kiss. Had a Kiss birthday cake and everything that year.

This was back in the day when shit was not as regulated at concert venues as it is now. Folks in the balconies were lighting their drink cups on fire like torches and then throwing them down into the crowd standing on the floor.
I think my mother aged at least a decade that night.


What CDs are in your changer right now?
Yeah, nothing but custom mixes in my car right now. My holiday mixes (because I'm slack like that), the set list from the KC concert, and my Fiction Mistress CD 1.

How many total albums do you own (CDs, vinyl, cassettes, 8-tracks)?

Seriously, 8-tracks? I don't think I EVER owned one of those. For the rest, probably in the neighborhood of 400-500.
Do you download music, and if so, legally or illegally?

Constantly, and I'm invoking my Fifth Amendment rights.

What was the first album you owned?

I've got all of y'all beat on the Goofy Scale.
My first love -- Shaun Cassidy. roflmao


What song would you like to have played at your funeral?

No clue. I'll let my husband worry about that.


Musically speaking, what do you love that your friends don't know about? What's your favorite guilty pleasure?


Sure, she's a little psycho, but hell, her folks live right down the road from us!

And you have to admit that Britney is great workout music, something I need to be doing a lot more of since bikini season is coming up.



What band or artist changed your life and how?

Sting/The Police. Have loved them since I was about 13. Spent my high school years following them all over the east coast during the Ghost In The Machine and Synchronicity tours and got to meet them a few times. Met Sting again as a few years ago. Mr. Sam in one of his rare moments of brilliance got me fourth row seats to see him perform in 2004. Absolute bliss is probably the only way you could describe that evening. Then we went to the Ritz Carlton for drinks and I saw his guitarist walk out. Grabbed Mr. Sam's arm so hard he had a bruise the next day, and sure enough, a couple of minutes later out sauntered Sting. Now one thing you should probably know about me, if I've had a couple of glasses of wine I am pretty freaking fearless. That night I was drinking dirty martinis. When he ended up next to me at the bar you wouldnt' believe the level of gushing. But it was soooo sooo worth it.

Figurative gun to your head, what is your favorite album and why?

Without even a moment's hesitation...

I still remember, vividly, the first time I heard Every Breath You Take. I was driving home from school with my best friend Wendy and heard Sting's voice and we just started squealing. Had to pull over to truly take it all in.

I went to see them 14 times on that tour, and loved every single minute. They shaped so much of what I love about music, and why now I listen to everything from jazz to blues to reggae to...well, Bon Jovi. :)













2 Response to "Music: Nine Questions - Samantha"

  1. I can beat you all on some of them..first concert was Rick Springfield, first album was the Grease Soundtrack...guilty pleasure, Michael Bolton and the Carpenters...I have 8-tracks, mostly inherited from my brothers and mostly Elton John, although there is one of the Osmands

    Number of CD's - only about 50, Cassettes - probably more like 150, and vinyl (yes I still have them), about 30

    Yes I download - legally...hell I'm impressed I've figured out I-Tunes..I don't even know any other sites!

    Anonymous says:

    I have to say that I also owned that Shawn Cassidy album. Did you have the near-life-sized wall poster too? (I may die at admitting that.)
    My first concert leaves you all in the dust: John Denver at MSG waaaaaaay back in 1977, I think. I was 12ish. I went with my mom.
    First album: No clue, but I probably still own it. Maybe The Kids From C.A.P.E.R. (a short-lived saturday morning live-action tv show ala the Monkees).
    Guilty pleasure: What? Admitting to loving John Denver isn't enough?
    Band that changed my life: Jovi. Took me out of a bad place and taught me that I do indeed have a backbone and it's not a crime to use it.
    -Stas

Follow The FFs!

Who Cares? These People Do... And We Love Them For It

powered by Blogger | WordPress by Newwpthemes | Converted by BloggerTheme